Dogwood Mountain Updates
You will find updates to the progress of Dogwood Mountain and Magnolia Ending on this page.
March 14, 2018
FEMA is conducting an on-site analysis of the area and will be providing their results and reports back to our Public Works Department soon.
February 3, 2018 Update:
- In mid-December, our consultant, Pegasus Engineering, submitted an extensive package to the Federal United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) for possible 75% Federal Funding for the embankment repairs. That report received a favorable review at the local level and was forwarded to the funding folks at the national level. We do not anticipate hearing back on the funding until early February.
- We continue to monitor the situation at Magnolia Ending on a near daily basis.
- On January 25th, we met with the SJRWMD regarding permit requirements and wetland cleanup / mitigation. The meeting went as well as we could have hoped. The plans as developed to date will not require any new permits. The wetlands will need to be cleaned up to within 6 to 12 inches of the original ground surface and no wetland mitigation will be required.
- With a definitive direction from SJRWMD, I have requested that Pegasus provide a full Scope of Service for their work going forward. We will bring that Scope to City Council for approval.
- We plan to conduct another Neighborhood Meeting in mid-February to inform the residents of our progress.
It should be noted that we are very mindful of the impending “rain” season beginning in May / June, so time is of the essence.
December 18,2017 - Update from Public Works
The City is pursuing federal funding for the Dogwood Mountain Reserve project. Pegasus Engineering submitted a request for funding on the City’s behalf to U.S.D.A. We are awaiting their approval before any work can begin. This will delay construction start-up beyond the projected January 2018 date. We will update you further as developments occur.
Follow up questions asked on December 19, 2017
Here are some questions that come to mind -- they might have/will be asked already but just in case.....
1. When is it anticipated that the work will start? It is only said that it will not start in January (4 month mark is 1-10-2018)
2. When will the City start the work without this funding source if the time goes too long? What is that date that it is 'too long'?
3. Is there another source of funding that can be tapped and if so when could the work be done with that funding?
Overall -- what is the timeframe on getting things done?
- Once we receive word from the USDA as to the availability and approval of Federal Funding for this project, we can proceed to construction.
- We are all aware of the “rain” season starting in June. As such, the City and USDA are working diligently to have work substantially completed by that date.
- The only other source of funding is FEMA reimbursement.
November 21, 2017 Update from Public Works:
The Mount Dora Public Works and Utilities Dept. met this morning with Pegasus Engineering, GeoStabilization International, Southeastern Surveying, Geotechnical and Environmental Consultants, Inc. and Foshee Construction Co. on the DMR project. The project engineer is breaking down the job into two phases. Phase 1 is the immediate stabilization and backfill of the collapsed area. Phase 2 is less urgent and will involve the street and right-of-way improvements, utilities improvements and a review of the retention pond.
Phase 1 will commence with a survey of the area and soil borings. Pegasus Engineering will coordinate with SJRWMD, NRCS and FEMA public assistance through this phase. Residents will see activity on the site from the surveyor and geotechnical team in December. They may expect to see the contractor beginning mobilization on the site the first week of January. The contractor and City will work with property owners surrounding the site for approval to access the site from their properties with their equipment. So, things will really begin to ramp up in early January.
Phase 2 will be under development while phase 1 is ongoing. We want to make sure that when the project is done that the utilities and the street are in better condition than before the catastrophe. We will review the pond design. If it is determined that improvements are warranted, that will be done under phase 2 also.
November 7, 2017 Update from Public Works:
In discussions with David Hamstra of Pegasus, we agreed to meet with the contractor on this project next week to coordinate the activities of all parties next week throughout the design, permitting, construction and restoration of the wetlands. This will insure that only one firm is providing a specific service when each of them provide more detailed Scopes of Services for consideration by City Council. In addition, it was agreed that the other utilities (Duke, telephone, cable, etc.) will be invited to attend this meeting. Once the Scopes are submitted, we proceed with drafting the appropriate Council Report for approval.