Code Enforcement Services

To report code violations or to ask questions, there are two ways you can do this:
• Call (352) 735-7127
•or Email

About City Codes

The Mount Dora City Council has established codes and ordinances to ensure that our City is kept beautiful. City codes protect the health, safety and quality of life for Mount Dora residents, visitors and business people. The code enforcement process falls under the purview of the Mount Dora Police Department.

Our Code Enforcement Officers periodically ride down every street in the City making sure that the codes and ordinances are being adhered to. The Code Enforcement Officer is our first line of defense against such things as overgrown lots, abandoned vehicles, violations of the zoning ordinances, and a myriad of other violations that make the City look shoddy or unkempt.

Enforcing City codes keep property values up, brings tourism and business activity to our area, and makes living in our City a joy and a pleasure.

Code Violations

Common code violations are listed as follows. This website will serve to enhance the understanding and cooperation between Code Enforcement and the citizens of Mount Dora. The resolution of code violations is described in City ordinances and utilizes a Special Magistrate hearing process for final resolution. Special Magistrate hearing dates, times, and agendas regarding code enforcement are listed in the "Boards & Committees Information and Meeting Notices" section of the website.

Filing a Complaint

Most code enforcement cases are initiated by Mount Dora residents. If you suspect a code violation in your neighborhood, please report it to Code Enforcement. Once filed, the matter will be investigated within a short period of time. If the problem reoccurs after having been corrected, please report the problem again.

Boat and Recreational Vehicles

Boats, recreational vehicles, utility trailers and motor homes shall not be permitted in front yards and shall not be permitted in side yards if the length exceeds twenty-five (25) feet.

Building Permitting

Most new interior and exterior renovations require a building permit. Check for compliance with current codes and information on permitting with the Building Department.


No person shall within the City allow their property to become filled with materials, trash, garbage or rubbish of any kind or other waste materials.

Disabled or Abandoned Vehicles

It shall be unlawful for any person who shall own or occupy real property within the City to have upon the property any dismantled, disabled or abandoned vehicles. An abandoned or disabled vehicle is any motor vehicle or parts thereof that does not have any of the following: a current motor vehicle tag, inflated tires or is not in running condition.

Fence Permitting

The construction of any fence shall require a building permit from the Building Department. Walls or fences of wood construction must be constructed so the exposed framing of each section faces the interior yard.

Garage Sales

Garage sales shall be permitted after the issuance of a permit. Such permit shall be good for not more than three (3) days, and no permit for the same parcel shall be issued more often than two (2) times per year. Any signs advertising such sales shall be removed from the property immediately at the conclusion of the sale. Signs are not permitted on telephone poles or in right-of-ways.

Home Occupational Licensing

Home occupations are allowed as conditional uses only when there is no appearance of commercial activity. No signs shall be permitted. Pick-up and delivery traffic shall not exceed normal traffic to and from other residences in the neighborhood.

Location of Garbage Cans

Garbage cans are required to be kept in a place on the owner’s or occupant’s lot or parcel of land not near to the street than the front or side building line of the premises, except when placed in the parkway for pickup. Emptied garbage cans and containers shall be removed from the right-of-way on the scheduled pickup day.

Overgrown Property

No person shall within the City allow his or her property to become overgrown with weeds, vegetation or other plant matter.

Sign Permitting

No person shall erect, alter, repair or relocate any sign without first obtaining a building permit. The following signs are prohibited and shall be removed immediately: Any sign placed on city right-of-way, banner signs, pennants, spinners, wind-operated devices, snipe signs, free-standing or portable signs, trailer signs and/or bench signs.

Trash Disposal on Streets

It shall be unlawful for any person to deposit, throw, discard or place any trash, litter, paper, garbage, cans, bottles, leaves, grass clippings or other waste materials onto any public street or sidewalk.

Other Common Complaints

  • Illegal Dumping
  • Junk and Accumulated Debris
  • Mobile Vendor on private property
  • Number of people living in a residence
  • Tree limbs blocking the right-of-way
  • Parking on Lawns
  • Properties in Substandard Condition